Registration for marriage in the registry office

In Germany and Austria, you can usually register your marriage at the marriage registration office as early as 6 months before the day. For popular appointments or locations, it is said that newlyweds line up overnight in front of the registration desk.

Therefore, you should not wait too long before registering in the registry. Especially coveted dates (May, July, August and “Spirits Number” (for example 07/07)) will be assigned quickly. Therefore, please arrive early on the day just 6 months before the required date. Due to general security requirements, the gate of the registered office will also be open for some time. This usually means queuing here.

If you are lucky, you can book an appointment early  in the  registry  – this is sometimes  done  online or over the phone. However, so far, not every registry provides this service.

If you want to hold a wedding at the registration office with the marriage registration     on Saturday , please inform yourself whether you are going to have a wedding at the registration office before registration , because not every registration office   holds a wedding on Saturday ! You can usually find a lot of information on the website of the registered office.

If you want to know what special functions apply  to marriage in Switzerland  , you can find the relevant information at the end of the article.

Personal registration


You can only register in person (preferably make an appointment with the registration office in advance to avoid you being locked in front of the door). Registration is done directly at the registration office in the place of residence of one of the two fiancee. Even if you want  to hold a wedding outdoors  or want to get married elsewhere, the on-site registration desk is always the first point of contact.


If neither of you can participate in the marriage registration day, then you absolutely need to get your partner’s signature authorization. Check the registry’s website to see if there is a form.

Basic file

The following documents are required for marriage registration at the registration office:

  • Passport or ID card
  • Certified copy of birth certificate (no more than 6 months)
  • Extended registration certificate, including marital status (previous residence permit)-only if you are not registered in the relevant city

The marriage certificate must be carried by the fiance.

You can obtain an extended registration certificate from the registration office, and a certified copy of the birth registration book will be issued by the registration office of your birthplace. You can usually get these documents from the relevant office in the clue. Practical tip:   Beware of fraud from external online providers-make sure you are indeed on the city’s official website.

Note: The copy may take several weeks, please plan for enough time!

If you get married, you will need other documents.

…One of you has been married before.

If you are married, the registry will also request the latest copy of the marriage register of the most recent marriage, with a divorce/death notice (no more than 6 months). You can get it from the registration office of the last marriage.

…You have children together.

In this case, the registration office will ask you to provide a birth certificate of the father’s certificate in which both parents have registered or certified.

…One of  you cannot appear in person at the registry.

If one of you cannot date in person, you can get a form at the registry to issue a power of attorney to register the marriage.

…One of you is not a German citizen.

There is always a general statement about the documents required for a foreigner to hold a wedding in Germany. However, laws and regulations are so different that general statements are meaningless. Be sure to inform your registry office in advance which documents must be available. Depending on the country/region where the document is published, the document must be confirmed or legalized by apostille and translated into German by a translator who is publicly sworn in or approved in Germany. It may also be awarded an international certificate, direct and effective.